Shark attacks surfer in Western Australia

Shark attacks surfer in Western Australia

A surfer has been left with serious injuries to both of his legs after being attacked by a shark off the coast of southwestern Australia.

A surfer was killed by a shark at Gracetown in 2013. "There was a lot more thrashing around".

An ambulance headed to the scene to treat the latest victim, Jason Longgrass, who was attacked at Lefthanders surf break, near to Cobblestones surf break, where a man was bitten on the leg about 8.20am.

The RAC Rescue Helicopter arrived at Royal Perth Hospital just after 10.30am and the man was in a stable condition on arrival.

St. John Ambulance spokesman Dennis Bertoldo said the man, aged in his 30s, was surfing at Gracetown on Monday when he was attacked.

Lifeguards said a 13ft shark was spotted off a nearby beach two hours after the attack. [I] saw the guy who had been attacked get separated from the [surf] board and then start to paddle for an inside wave, which he managed to body surf all the way in.

The Margaret River Pro worldwide surfing competition which is taking place nearby has been put on hold while organisers wait for information from local authorities.

He has since entered the operating theatre for surgery on his wounds, and has been transferred to the State Trauma Unit.

More news: Saudi king slams Iranian meddling in Arab states

According to The West Australian, John John and Nathan Florence encountered two large sharks during a free surf in the days leading up the Margaret River Pro.

Opposition Leader Mike Nahan said the attack would make global news given the Margaret River Pro event was on nearby.

He said it emphasised the need to do more, including using SMART drumlines rather than the Labor government's subsidised shark deterrent devices.

Former champion surfer Mick Fanning escaped unscathed when a great white attacked his board as he waited to catch a wave.

Acting Fisheries minister Roger Cook said his primary concern was for the victim.

"The current policies are simply not adequate".

"My thoughts are with him as he receives treatment in hospital", he said.

"Following the first incident, authorities cleared beaches, erected beach closure signs, (and) patrolled the area in boats and on foot", he said.

Related Articles