NOW to protest at Manhattan DA's office over Harvey Weinstein controversy

NOW to protest at Manhattan DA's office over Harvey Weinstein controversy

Weinstein was accused of sexual assault in 2015, and Ivanka Trump and Donald Trump Jr. were investigated earlier this decade for allegedly misleading real estate buyers.

"Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance has taken thousands of dollars in donations over the years from David Boies, a top lawyer in NY whose clients have included Al Gore in the 2000 presidential election", the AP reports.

The chief of detectives with the NYPD has ordered the Special Victims Unit to take another look at some of the claims made while Manhattan District Attorney, Cyrus Vance, is having to answer why the charges were never filed. And the International Business Times reported that David Boies, a lawyer for Weinstein, contributed $10,000 to Vance's campaign after he decided not to bring charges.

"They had no impact on my thinking", Vance said Wednesday at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in Manhattan.

The Manhattan District Attorney's office, which is under fire for its handling of a sex assault allegation against Harvey Weinstein in 2015, is now urging other Weinstein victims to come forward.

"If we could have prosecuted Harvey Weinstein for the conduct that occurred in 2015, we would have".

Ms. Battilana had told the police she and Mr. Weinstein were discussing the possibility of her becoming a lingerie model when he asked if her breasts were natural or augmented and then touched her, two law enforcement officials familiar with the investigation said. I, like they, were very distributed but the contents of the tape, it's obviously sickening.

The Manhattan district attorney's office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Friedman-Agnifilo accuses NYPD detectives of failing to get proper direction on the surveillance, and that the recording - while "horrifying" - was "insufficient to prove a crime under NY law".

More news: TCS net profit slips 2% to Rs

Vance subsequently dropped the case after Trump's attorney, Marc Kasowitz, contributed $31,000 to his campaign in 2012, that report said. "But at the end of the day we operate in a courtroom of law not the court of public opinion".

"I support Cy Vance, I will endorse Cy Vance for re-election, and I don't understand the controversy", James said, according to a tweet by a reporter.

Vance returned $32,000 to Kasowitz last week.

Vance denied in the report that the dropping of the investigation was a quid pro quo for the contributions. In all, Boies has given $55,000 to Vance's campaigns since he first began running for office in 2008.

Vance has been Manhattan's top prosecutor since 2010 and has been involved in numerous city's major cases - from the successful prosecution of an art dealer's $120 million fraud to rounding up more than 100 police officers and firefighters for a massive disability scam.

He has been an advocate for sentencing reform and was one of the loudest voices opposing strong encryption for personal phones.

Vance is up for reelection for a third term in November and he's now running unopposed. Short of New York Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo firing him or Vance stepping down, he stands a strong chance of weathering the storm.

Last week, Assemblyman Dan Quart sent a letter to New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman requesting that he investigate Vance for his role in choosing not to prosecute Trump's children.

Related Articles